The Labor Market Information Institute is the pre-eminent resource for supporting the development, interpretation, and use of labor market information.
The Labor Market Information Institute supports and promotes the production and use of high-quality workforce and employment information. We accomplish this mission by:
- Providing training and professional development to state and other LMI professionals.
- Improving the knowledge, skills, and understanding of LMI customers.
- Offering management, staffing, and coordination to support the nationwide LMI infrastructure.
- Fostering and encouraging the use of local, state, and national LMI in decision-making related to workforce development, economic development, education, and other relevant policy areas.
We are guided by the following principles:
- The Institute recognizes that the states must play a primary role as leaders and developers of local, state, and national labor market information within a nationwide network.
- The Institute is committed to the development of and the provision of access to high quality, unbiased, reliable labor market information.
- The Institute actively pursues an understanding of user needs and integrates that understanding in the development, production, and delivery of labor market information products.
- The Institute serves as a central node for a network of data producers, users, and intermediaries – bringing them together to collaborate, educate, innovate, and lead.
- The Institute promotes professional excellence to improve the quality of the LMI created and the analysis of that information, including guidance about the most appropriate interpretation and application of LMI.
- The Institute conducts all its activities in a respectful, cooperative, courteous, and inclusive manner.